Here’s to all you newly engaged couples – congratulations!! I’m sure you’re now in the process of planning your wedding and getting ready for lots of exciting firsts – cake tastings, meetings with your planner, and your engagement session. I get this question almost every time… What to Wear to Your Engagement Session.
So I wanted to share a couple tips that I give to my couples that guides them in choosing outfits for their engagement session!
- Wear something that makes you feel CONFIDENT. Ladies, wear the top that makes you the happiest or your favorite pair of jeans. Wear something that flatters the parts of you that you love the most and allows you to be extremely confident. You should feel super cute and like yourself! Believe it or not, that shows in photos. If you feel good, you will look good!
- Be mindful of your session location. If your photographer is taking you to a woodsy park for your engagement session, you probably don’t want to wear green or tall heals. Think of what colors will look good at the location where you’re taking your photos. Will there be a busy city in the background, will it be a sunny glowing field, or will there be a lot of greenery? Think of the formality of the location, too!
- Complement each other. The name of the game is complementing each other, not matching each other. Stick to simple patterns, colors that you love on yourselves, and pieces that look nice side by side.
- Keep it simple. I always say to my couples, don’t overthink it. Don’t think you need two outfits. If that stresses you out, just pick one. Look at your engagement session as a fun date night together! Don’t feel the need to overdo it. Pick something that you’d wear out with your fiance and rock it!
- When in doubt, wear neutrals. Neutral colors like blush, tan, gray, sage, or navy photograph so well. These colors are softer and easier on the eyes. You can never go wrong! And you’ll never look back on your engagement photos and say, “Why did I wear that hot pink shirt?”
Other tips: Guys, I recommend avoiding patterns that are smaller than a dime. These patterns can create strange visual effects in camera. Also avoid graphic tees and tennis shoes. Generally, avoid wearing white as a top. It doesn’t allow for any contrast and is not very well photographed.
Did this help guide you on What to Wear to Your Engagement Session? I sure hope so! Have you already had your engagement session? What did you wear?
Erin Fox Photo is a husband and wife photography team based in Nashville, Tennessee photographing weddings and families. Available for travel in Middle Tennessee and beyond. At the heart of our work is people – the couples, the families, their stories. We are passionate about storytelling and exist to leave you memories that bring back moments and feelings through timeless and organic imagery. Get in touch!