We’ve seen everything from sand ceremonies to a bride-and-groom-led worship service. There are so many creative ideas you can add in to make your ceremony and wedding day feel more personal. Because after all, it’s your wedding day. Do what you want! Here are some ideas for making your ceremony personal.
- Include your furry friends! Whether you’ve had your dog your entire life, or you just got a pup together as a couple, dogs are our bestest of friends. Why not include them in the big day? Include them as a flower girl/ring bearer, or just bring them along for photos!
- Get a custom sign-in book. Have your engagement photos printed in a book with room for guests to leave hand-written notes to you instead of a traditional sign-in book. It’s a cool way for your guests to see your engagement photos and for you to flip through years from now.
- Handwritten vows. Bring on the tears. Ditch traditional vows and write your own. They can be in the form of a poem, a fun anecdote, or just from the heart. Share them alone before the ceremony, or in front of your guests.
- Pray together alone before or have family pray over you. If you know you want to incorporate more quiet moments, a sweet way to do this is to share a prayer together before the ceremony.
- Include grandparents as flower girls! This is just plain cute! Most grandma’s would be so flattered too. 😉
- Arrange chairs in circle around alter for a more intimate ceremony. This is wonderful for smaller ceremonies. Having all your friends and family surround you with love is the best feeling.
- Include a musical guest. Got a friend who writes songs? Or maybe an uncle who wants to show off his guitar skills? Ask someone you love to perform a special song at your ceremony. Or have them play some of your favorites during the processional and recessional.
- Have a receiving line. This is a guaranteed way to greet each and every one of your guests. Once you’ve been pronounced as husband and wife, instead of walking back down the aisle, dismiss your guests by row and hug each one as they leave.
- Add a creative touch to the ceremony program. Your ceremony program is another place you can add a touch of personalization! Think a custom wedding logo, a drawing of the two of you, or a photo.
The options here are really endless. Think of a hobby you love to do together, and incorporate that in some way. Maybe it’s a special location, a special person you want to speak, or just a really intentional worship service at the end of your ceremony. We love seeing how couples tailor their ceremony with a personal touch.
When it comes to ideas for wedding planning we’ve got you. Want in on some tips for creating an awesome wedding day timeline too? Grab our guide!
Erin Fox Photo is a husband and wife photography team based in Nashville, Tennessee photographing weddings and engagements. Available for travel in Middle Tennessee and beyond.